Friday, April 23, 2010

Wilson's Promontory

All day Saturday, the sky spat on us on and off so when we booked our camping spot we decided to book in for one night only.
After setting up camp at Tidal River we went for a walk along the river. All afternoon clouds hung low over the mountain peaks.
Gas barbecues were close by so we cooked our lamb chops, onions and pumpkin on the hot plate and chatted with other campers.
By the time we were in bed - the stars were shining and the temperature quite comfortable.
Then, some time before midnight, the heavens opened up, the rain was torrential. Little did I know that worse was to come!
I could cope with the rain but the gale force winds were another story.
We'd put up the annex and the awning and the wind almost blew them away. At three fifteen in the morning more tent pegs were hammered in and neither of us got back to sleep.
As soon as there was a lull in the rain and the wind, we had breakfast, packed up and had coffee at the cafe along with many other campers. Some had not faired as well as what we had....

Even after we'd left The Prom on Sunday, the rain continued to come down in torrents and the gusty wind continued.
The storm played chasing with us all the way to Dandenong.

Wilson's Promontory is a beautiful place but it's also on the edge of the world and prone to wild weather which changes without warning, as we found out. We will be back but cabin accommodation will have to be the go!
Next stop - Melbourne.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Many years ago I camped at Tidal river. It was the first week of December, and it was so cold that even wearing all my clothes in the sleeping bag wasnt enough. And the wind nearly blew my tent away. The next day I went for a long walk and when I came back the wind was even stronger so I was having great trouble putting up my tent. A young couple saw my plight and offered me a bed in their 4-berth cabin, which I immediately and gratefully accepted. It turned out that they had been married in Melbourne 2 days earlier and were on their honeymoon !

    Love your blog Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, yay! Sorry I haven't responded to your comment earlier! I'm still learning about blogging and I see now that I hadn't 'subscribed by email' to this particular blog so missed your comment.
    We've heard many other stories about The Prom, we thought we'd return but don't know if we should...perhaps we'll stay in one of the flash cabins instead?

    ReplyDelete