Wednesday, July 28, 2010

And Another Thing.


One more good thing about camping at Tyrconnell Historic Gold Mine is the fact that we could have a camp fire which I did and which I kept going for the entire time we camped.  This morning I couldn't let a good fire go to waste so I made gluten-free damper in the camp oven and then shared with Honey Pie and fellow camper Gary.  Yum!
After morning tea we packed up and set off to visit Mount Mulligan.
Did I mention that the drive to Tyrconnell mine is four wheel drive only?  I don't think I did...but it is.  So is the drive to Mount Mulligan.  On the way to Mount Mulligan and at Mount Mulligan one finds lots of cemeteries to visit with many an interesting and sometimes very sad story to tell.  At the turn of the twentieth century one poor family lost five of its children in a space of eleven years.
Mount Mulligan itself is quite an impressive landmark with its own tragic history.
During the early part of the twentieth century a coal mine operated at Mount Mulligan.
On September 19, 1921, an explosion at the mine killed seventy five men.  The explosion was heard by school children and mothers and wives in the town, many suddenly orphans or widows.
As I stood in front of the mountain and read the history of the disaster, cold chills ran down my spine.
As I travel the country and learn more and more about miners, I have gained a new respect for mine workers.  I think it takes a brave man (and woman) indeed to carry on in such an occupation.

Mount Mulligan.

Brick Kiln in front of Mount Mulligan.

Numbered Markers at the cemeteries, I'm not sure of their significance but can only conclude that each one represents a miner killed in the Mount Mulligan disasters.
***
We drove back to Dimbulah and then made our way to Chillagoe arriving just in time to book ourselves into a cave tour tomorrow morning.
Tonight, we're camped at the Rodeo Ground...okay camping but if last night's ablution block was the best so far, tonight's is looking to win the award for the worst this trip!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment