Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sunny Cairns



Our first real trip into Cairns proper.
I can't remember what Cairns CBD looked like the last time I was in Cairns, or even if I visited the CBD. But I guess I must have because I do remember going to the Botanical Gardens.
My sister (who only last Friday started some leave from work), drove us into Cairns. Or at least was going to until her car had mechanical problems. So we quickly re-arranged the back seat of our car and Andrew drove our car with my sister as navigator.
The car park at Cairns Esplanade was packed with young overseas tourists in their camper vans. Parking fees are only eighty cents an hour, until ten at night, so I guess that makes it cheaper than a campsite in a caravan park! Young bodies were all over the place (and at the man made beach - complete with life guards - on The Esplanade!)
When we arrived at the beach, the sun was trying very hard to shine and skimpily clad overseas tourists were sun-baking on the sand, many of them already looking like boiled lobsters. Within minutes, there was a heavy shower and everyone ducked for cover.
We made our way to the pier, dashing under shop awnings or into shops every time there was another shower.
Eventually found a place to have lunch on the pier and then walked to the Cairns Regional Gallery.
Afternoon tea, some window shopping and back home.
Cairns has certainly grown since the last time I was here.   

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment