Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Showers With Frogs


Remains of the old gold mine and stamping battery.  The stamping battery is still in working condition.
We love it here so much that we've decided to stay a second night.
Unfortunately we are unable to see the quartz crushing machine in operation as the owners of the historic mine are on holidays and the site is being looked after by friends.
Despite this, there is so much to see and investigate, so much to photograph, well, we hardly notice that the machine is not working!
Gary, a fellow camper (the only one by the way) goes 'on tour' with us.  (It's actually a self-guided tour).  He and Honey Pie spend lots of time in 'man' conversation which leaves me free to take heaps and heaps of photographs!

Above are some shots of the old mine manager's cottage, which is now used as holiday accommodation.
The owners of the mine restored the cottage and lived in it for a while.  It has everything one needs to live in the cottage, including a wooden high chair.  If it's not specific to the period, it's very discreetly hidden behind closed doors.  (E.g. Microwave oven and electric jug.)

We wandered down to the creek for a nature treat and also found some mine shafts and an old bucket.
The butterflies were abundant but almost impossible to photograph.

The ablution block was a treat!  I would have to vote it the best so far.  I had the 'Ladies' all to myself until late the second day, as I was the only female camped at the camp ground.  But then I realised I had to share it with the frogs!  I think the frogs are white lipped tree frogs. There was one in the laundry tub, one on a toilet seat lid, one on the floor and one in the shower recess!
I had some free time to myself when Honey Pie and Gary went up to a nearby lookout.  While they were away I caught up with some blogging etcetera.
Generally a relaxing, beautiful day, although it's tended to be a bit windy.  Not to worry though, because our camp spot is well protected from the wind.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment